lv I en
30.01.2014
History

The roots of the Latvian Society of Radiology can be traced back to 1926, when the Society of Roentgenologists of Riga (SRR) was established.  The founder of the Society and the first Chairman was the roentgenologist Dr. Mathiass Hiršbergs. In year 1928 Professor Eižens became the Chairman of the Society of Roentgenologists, who also was the Head of the Chair of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Latvia.  Under the guidance of Professor E. Vēbers, the Society of Roentgenologists of Riga was transformed into the Latvian Society of Roentgenologists (LSR) comprising more than 30 members in year 1938.  The LSR held regular meetings, providing general practitioners with the information on relevant questions of Roentgenological diagnostics and Radiation therapy, as well as the reports on the scientific conferences abroad.  The LSR ceased its work in 1939 by the order the Government of Latvia. 
 The LSR renewed its activity in 1946 under the name of the “Scientific society of the Roentgenologists and Radiologists of the Latvian SSR” (SSRR), the successor of the prewar LSR. The Initiative to renew the Society belonged to the prewar LSR members Assistant-professor Kārlis Mazūrs, Dr. Vilhelms Pampe, Dr. Jānis Bērziņš, and Assistant-professor Jēkabs Romāns, who also became the first members of the Board.  The first Chairman of Board of the renewed society was Assistant-professor Kārlis Mazūrs (1946.-1958.g.) - the Head Roentgenologist of Latvia. 
In accordance with the Statutes being in force till 1990, The Board and the Chairman of Board were elected for the respective 3-year term by the General Meeting of the Society, without   re-election restrictions.
In 1991 the “Scientific society of the Roentgenologists and Radiologists of the Latvian SSR” (SSRR) was renamed into the Latvian Society of Roentgenologists and Radiologists (LSRR), new Statutes were approved and registered in the statutory order. 
The work of the LSR was conducted under the auspices of the Latvian Medical Association.  Since the year 1993 the LSR has been the member of the International and European Societies of Radiology. 
 Since 2003 the LSR has comprised physicians of two specialties: Radiologists-diagnosticians and Radiologists-therapeutists, and been renamed into the Latvian Society of Radiologists (LSR). 
 
The Chairmen of the SRR, SSRR, LSRR, and LSR:
Assistant-professor Kārlis Mazūrs 1946-1958
Assistant-professor Aleksandrs Poļakovs 1959-1966
Professor Jevgenijs Nemiro 1966-1991
Dr. Arnolds Veinbergs 1991-2003
Professor Ardis Platkājis MD, PhD 2003-2011
Kārlis Kupčs MD, PhD  2011-2015